Wednesday 18 April 2012

To Write or Not to Write

I'm having second thoughts about starting this blog. I feel like such a flake but it is what it is. I've been writing. I have 7 posts started. I just haven't published them. I've even had this post written for a week. I just can't seem to click that publish button! Part of the problem is that I am afraid of being judged. I started the blog thinking that I would share about hobbies, interests, my life and my thoughts on different topics. The problem is that now I find myself mostly just wanting to share my thoughts which basically makes this a public diary for all to read. I don't know about you but I don't particularly want everybody and anybody to read my diary!

Sure I could back off and mainly just share about my hobbies and life but then I still can't help but add what I thought or how I feel about these different events and interests. I could just limit how much I share but then I feel like I'm not being as honest as I would like. I am very afraid of being judged. If I only share the positive thoughts and events, then I may be judged as being fake because life isn't always positive. If I share about a personal struggle, then I could be judged in a wide number of ways. I could be a poor writer. I could be a debbie downer. I could be too insecure, a bad parent, uneducated, untalented, misunderstood. Or I could be considered a know-it-all, bragging, proud, arrogant, pretentious. The possibilities are endless. Basically, I now realize that putting my thoughts out there for all to read is a really vulnerable place to be and I'm not sure I have thick enough skin to handle it. 

And so I find myself at a stand still. Should I write or should I not write. Do I put myself out there or are there better ways to communicate and share my thoughts, ideas and opinions.

Now please don't misunderstand me. I am not looking for an ego boost here. I've taken a week to publish this post for fear of being misunderstood. I am simply being honest and wanted to let people know why I haven't written for 2 weeks. Of course, I always appreciate words of encouragement. It is my love language. I thrive on encouragement! But it is not what I am seeking through this post. If anything, I am hoping to hear promises of not being judged. But really, I don't need to hear anything at all. I'm just dipping my toes into the water, treading slowly and carefully and we'll see how it goes from there.

I don't know yet if I will continue blogging. I guess only time will tell. But one thing I will definitely write about before quitting (if I quit) is my mom. When she was sick I wrote notes on Facebook to keep people updated on how she was doing. The last note I wrote said that she was doing well. A month later she passed away. It all happened so fast I never had a chance to share what was going on or how I was doing afterwards. I really want to share about her last week as well as my grief process. So, at the very least I will write about all that. If I continue to write about other topics, we shall see.

4 comments:

  1. Hello my friend, I love to hear your thoughts, however you choose to share them. They give me the pleasure of sharing in your life, and knowing you better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roxy! I love the way you put it, "the pleasure of sharing in your life". I never thought of it that way. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Roxy! Although we can get together and talk or txt or FB, there are some things that are easier to share in person and then there are some things are easier to share in print. Of course you know I won't judge :) I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete