Tuesday 1 May 2012

For the Love of Rain

I decided today that I think spring is my favorite season. Every season has its positives and negatives, including spring. But I decided today that I think I enjoy the positives of spring more than the positives of the other seasons. Sure, I think autumn has beautiful colors. And I love to watch snow falling in the winter and see beautiful landscapes of pure white after a fresh snowfall. I love to bask in sunlight and be warm in the summer, but not too warm. But spring. Oh spring…

I love the excitement I feel when I see new buds beginning on trees. Anticipating the new growth. I love watching everything turn from bare and brown to green, green, green. And I absolutely love the rain. I love to hear the pitter patter outside and on my windows and watch the droplets create their ripples in a puddle or make their track down a windowpane. I do look forward to sunny skies but I don't mind the clouds as much when they are dropping down rain. I love the smell of rain, the sounds of rain and the sights of rain. And as a little bonus, my birthday is in spring!

Sometimes I wonder if loving rain has anything to do with me being born on Vancouver Island. My parents are from Calgary and moved back here when I was 1. I don't remember anything from living in BC. Although I remember lots of vacations there… camping in tents, in the rain. But I wonder how many times I fell asleep to the sounds of rain as a baby. Perhaps there is still a subconscious trigger towards peace when it rains.

Today I ran lots of errands and we were in and out of the house 6 times. My baby boy jumped in the same puddle 5 of the 6 treks to/from the van. On the 6th time, we were coming home and I was finally prepared with my camera to make sure I got a cute picture of the splash and the smile. Of course, this was the one time he decided to be grumpy and come straight into the house. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow I will get my pic.

I hope everyone is enjoying their spring!

P.S. I would like to know, what is your favorite season and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment